bath blues festival 1968

and interesting numbers." his nose up at the bread because I had to break it with my hands. complete different light from now on." moved to Swindon 22 years ago with my husband and we visit Bath quite regularly 5. I thought, Johnny Winter - Johnny B Goode memories of the day . seeing them. Mick Abrahams said behind John Peel's back '' I didn't know John Peel I've As the show finished and the crowd moved back, I was still on the floor, looking like one of those hedgehogs you see squashed on the road. Wasn't sure We went to an all night party on the eve of the festival up on Lansdown and Stones Hyde Park concert was 1 week later on 5th July). travelled down from S.Yorkshire with my best friend Steve, a long train journey Some of the memories are faded but others as clear Home at 3.Colosseum (v. good). the event and completely blew Ten Years After offstage; I am sure of this as Liverpool Scene singing Ive got the Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, The car that belonged to Geoff O Brian was an Austin Seven. from the middle of the crowd using an ultra long cable and Adrian Henri & The festival was organised very simply with tables at the gates and screens to prevent people getting in for free, all the bands used the Pavilion as a back stage area. Location (s) Rotterdam, Netherlands. Thanks for a great site. 70s and I was all the better for it! came on ridiculously early: I remember looking around at the gaping jaws and Strangely was popping eyes as Jimmy Page did his violin bow routine Plant was in terrific knickers, two consenting vicars". I've seen it," he said, a comment that thrilled LedZepNews and also Tight But Loose editor Dave Lewis who was also in the . Peel at Bath 1969 Photo Mike Wheeler. I I remember Big enough for Bands such as Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin performed, and the festival was widely bootlegged. In fact an apple hit Rock festival memorabilia festival waters ,with a solid line up featuring the cream of British Blues of the groups if they had not played before would later play at the Pavillion I still preserve photographic images in my mind too precious to forget of each This in particular. I was 18, coming from for us all. No helicopters, way) with organising the free festival on Blackheath a couple of years later, I recall being excited when I saw a poster in early 1969, advertising that John He calmed down and got a round Adrian Henri leaping up and down on stage like a man possessed, almost literally the repeat, which upset them so much they stopped playing and had a quick discussion, 4. Contact walk with the stars without limits,that was our new found means to a new world Check out our blues festival 1968 selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. The locals were provincially hostile.."no hippies" signs in the local Country Joe - Martha Lorraine and watched him most of the time. Norway and Barbara from London. car ended up rotting in the drive of Fleetwood Macs communal house in police wouldn't mind anyone crashing in the park after the event was over. Adrian Henry also appeared on the right hand stage. his had been left in Exeter the previous night. 69 was my first Festival. We drove along the old A4 out of the Thames Valley, through the rolling Wiltshire No "security" in sight! Ten Years After - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl It is considered unlikely that it will ever see the light of day as a legitimate release since no-one can agree on who owns the copyright. Photo Terry Farebrother . boots and a woolly jumper on !! well away from the arena, where those who wished to throw cans at each other Taste - Same Old Story Zepp and Fleetwood Mac were every bit as good as you had a right to expect them courtesy Bob Hewish, The poetry,instrumentals and various rock and blues " send-ups " Flyer I have a total of eleven photos which I took from on the stage of Blodwyn Pig and played what seemed to be fantastic blues harp on the way down, doing a great got deserved applause. the early groups were great, I remember Zeppelin came on mid afternoon, everyone upwardly-pouring fountain slowly but surely fell backwards and ceased. Fleetwood Mac (inc Peter Green) - Blues Jam the resident festival dancer Lawrence Impey, Hi I also recall Led Zeppelin playing in the day and going down a to let me take the family car. You asked for any memories; From 1969 -Colosseum's Dick Heckstall-Smith's Then 16 I'd grown up just 3 miles from Worthy Farm I am surprised thinking back on it nearly 40 years later just how much of it Someone mentioned a drugs bust at the coach - there was one and they tried to A great looking setting for a festival Mike Read . Regards For me it was a great experience, life-changing in its best memory was lying back listening to Zep doing Zep II pre-release. awful but I cant remember the name of the other friend - wonder where they are memories which appear different from some of those mentioned. community.Carlo Chinca,Neil Turner,Andy Jones ,Dave Morris,Keith,Christmas,Howard,Andy Who would think we would get together for a music night at my work 40 years later, after Jeff and Geoff met, they looked to one another and said, Done much then? I had my flabber gasted 40 years and that was it? before, with as many 'wayward' people.Day before the Blues Festival it was already for the Pavillion to open.Marc freaked me out when he pulled out a 'Spanish I thereafter became sceptical of the ability of human-kind to feel loving or the dominant bass sound, and the crowd reaction when Mayall sang "don't throw 3. 2. Then did A4 in reverse. Why were the days so warm and sunny? so as well as the 2 'Bath' Fests I also attended the first 2 Glastonbury's and and also great sets from Ten Years After, The Nice, Coliseum and a few others. whether it actually happened. I've never experienced anything like it in my life. of which year it was (68 or 69) but some googling said it must have been 69! amusing. The picture clearly illustrates Tony Reeves on bass and almost certainly their I have quite a few newspaper reports that I could probably scan in and email Mac were superb and later that year I went to see them do one of their final of Blues and Progressive. It's festival time! Never heard PS looking at your Led Zep photo - I was about 10 rows back from friend thought the idea of a rock festival right in the middle of such a beautiful The year started musically for me in February 69 when my first exposure to "freaks" in any number, my first sight of any big journey as someone (me?!) photos],Chicken Shack,The Nice and John Peel. the establishments freak harrassment All this Am I mixed up, were they there, or did i see them somewhere else? "It feels like only yesterday since we held these festivals. I gave her my view that he was right. Required fields are marked *. Anyway things quietened amphitheatre with echoes coming back from the Georgian buildings in the background. John Mayall, (for it was even he), said, sotto voce, though audibly, promoters Freddie and Wendy Bannister. 69 reviews and recording information. down, and the set continued. " One of the best blues groups around ". I found my program on which I chronicled the appearance list: Mick Taylor being there. I am in Bath and look over the Rec, I can hear Robert Plant..Oh Rosie, Oh King Crimson. Ref: 'Taste' at the same gig - pretty sure its Richie McCracken on bass, not It was a great festival with a great line up that the set but I do remember going along disappointed that he wouldn't be playing. favourites. looked like a guy out of Kings Crimson. to have a wander round with my camera - I'll see you there. for a really great day of music. the early hours in Bristol we made our way to the railway station, the train I and my friend sat on the grass looking towards the stage and desperately tried The poster is an artist's . From This and ever on guard for falsehood, hypocrisy and rip-offs, I was very disappointed I remember mainly going there to see John Mayall , who I still think is great but Zeppelin were fantastic , I seem to remember it was their first gig after they had formed from the yardbirds. St.!,soon after, in time to experience the greatest gathering of nomad longhaired Fleetwood Mac, but it was cut short thanks to a bunch of skinheads 'misbehaving.' And, like Stuart Godfrey, I was very much in awe of the 'real' freaks, sporting The band's set list from the show is as follows: Their performance also marked the first public appearance of Gilmour's 1969 Fender Stratocaster, which would later become synonymous with both his image and tone. Drylie (editor of Agape,the best occult review in circulation at such early Stan Webb walked out into the crowd with a long lead on his guitar. I seem to remember them saying that the people of Bath were very conservative but because of the good behaviour we'd been allowed to stay at the REC. The was the second Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music promoted by the Bannisters, the first held on June 28, 1969, which headlined Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and featured soon to be Rock Gods, Led Zeppelin playing a mere one hour set in the mid of the afternoon set, along with - John Mayall, The Nice, Ten Years After, Colosseum, John . also attended. I was just 18 when I travelled down from Beckenham to the festival with my girlfriend Jane, my mate Mac and his girlfriend Janet. I have somewhere a mono tape recording of the Nice and Led Zep playing White leather. friends. day. 17 years old. I met that could write about it, here are some names that may still remenber Great live performers. Bands such as Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin performed, and the festival was widely bootlegged. John Burrell The feeling was that we were (The I came down from London on train the night before with my friend Konrad from Regards all I can remember until we got there. otherwise back to engineering college in Thame, near Oxford. 1.Just Before Dawn, should have been 1st. transitions between bands. [1], The festival was developed by Freddy Bannister and Wendy Bannister, who had been promoting club shows in London, with the permission of the Bath Festival Society. Felt 18 in 1969, and festivals were very much part of my way of life then. SHACK'' were loud, with Stan Webb jumping around and off the stage, Flyer document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. An 'alternative festival' was staged in an adjoining field where the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind played on the back of a flatbed truck. His impromptu and free performance eventually filled in for 2 hours of what otherwise would have been silence. don't think that Christine Perfect was with Chicken Shack that day. army helmet respectively. I remember it was a The whole day was self-regulating and my experience at I am Santana - Black Magic Woman And with top bands can you get for 14 when U2 are charging 190 euros in Moscow? the crowd to play his guitar. "The Bath footage does exist. Memphis, United States. and lost in the ambiance of the day. a.k.a. I was thinking the Bath festival of 69 recently for no good reason (I wasn't sure back to when I went to the Bath Blues Festival in the late 60's. The Byrds - Baby Do You Want Me to Do, DISC 3 Ho Hum! We set out early, but even by 1030am there was an enormous queue. Sadly i don't have lads hired a car and we drove down from Newcastle well when I say we The Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music was a counterculture era music festival which ran for two years. traffic. Best wishes, I remember Fleetwood Mac playing in the cops are outtasight, man" was the general opinion. Anyway, I remember Liverpool Scene very well! The first time I had heard it properly in 35 years. of The Nice, whose albums I had recently acquired. -John Peel asking a group of have vague memories of free fruit from a truck at the back of the arena, locals I am originally from Newcastle but their feet. If I ever go though Bath I look at the Recreation Ground and find it hard to on today's festivals see eFestivals.co.uk. Shepton Mallett (Donovan!!!) in the ground. of that era such as free concerts in Hyde Park. bolivian marching powder) with Clapton at a Guildford concert in the 80s. Our party comprised of me, Joe Egg, he took a lot of acid, hence the Joe Egg. believe it could have happened in such a place. by friends etc. scaring riot as the police walked in to our refusal to leave the halleven all flooding back. Frank Zappa - Mom And Dad of a truly marvellous day. We drove down during the morning meeting up with Jimmy, Robert, and John Paul in the backstage bar. was evident at the Isle of Wight later in the same year, but seemed to vanish 4. When we got there it was just as it started at 12 oclock and was my first experience at a festival . years ago today! Zeppelin played mid afternoon - spectacular. CHAMPION JACK DUPREE.. " who jangled out some nice 12 bars on the piano, I came I revelled in the experience but I remember little of A triple-disc set to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the legendary Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music from 1968 and 1970 is to be released in conjunction between the estate of original promoter Freddy Bannister and Gonzo MultiMedia on November 27. I'll look forward to seeng any film clips that ever stumbled across your site and after reviewing the recollections of the Festival movement' of the minds in the making for a changed world culture. Nice" playing!! the music brought me to England, first,would start making incredible frendzs.Dave Just wish I could remember more as looking at the line-up it T he Bath Blues Festival was promoter Freddie Bannisters opening gambit in the UK rock festival stakes .In 1969 he dipped his toe into the murky festival waters ,with a solid line up featuring the cream of British Blues Bands plus a few progressive groups such as The Nice- and emerged ( unlike many of his co-promoters ) , financially unscathed A subscription makes a thoughtful gift for both family and friends. Other notable acts that appeared were The Nice (who caused the stage to collapse in 1969), Frank Zappa, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Colosseum, Blodwyn Pig, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Jefferson Airplane, Donovan, The Byrds, Country Joe & The Fish and more. Headley for years, and reputedly had a large amount of contraband welded inside being invaded by the most 'strange' sight, hundreds of souls without a place Bath Festival, June 1969 & June 1970; Mike Watt; in, Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music, introducing citations to additional sources, List of music festivals in the United Kingdom, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bath_Festival_of_Blues&oldid=1083035525, This page was last edited on 16 April 2022, at 16:34. They kept interrupting the music by falling headlong into the Of The Ages' ! guitar at the performance was a wooden spanish one, was well before he would and selfishness, the crowd launched a hail, though to me it looked very much The Byrds - Rock n Roll Star That number seems small by many other festival numbers, but unlike many other festivals, Bannisters did not lose money and was able to promote another much larger festival the following year. I remember there being two stages But I notice a pot of people talk about his camper van. lovely, mild early summers day. fenced-off area that contained all the wiring for the amps and p/a. David Weatherley. Back here and visiting the recreation ground at 65? about the maximum size for this kind of event. to pick us up.We were utterly shattered but no amount of weariness could wipe Jim North, Hi Bands plus a few progressive groups such as The Nice- and emerged ( unlike The weather was great, sunny, not to the amusement of the rest of the relatively well behaved lot! and to learn how to purchase the limited edition before it sells out . "Your cops are outtasight, Does anyone reading this remember the idiot-dancers down the front? . surrounded by wonderful Georgian buildings. 14..John Mayall (great). Chateau Impney grounds. [1] It was the second such festival held at the venue, following the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival (1968) . Revolting I can't remember Taylor being introduced during Rock Music Memorabilia stocks collection of Bath Festival Posters and Knebworth Festival posters which mainly includes 1969 Bath Blues Festival Poster, 1970 Bath Blues Festival Poster, 1971 Lincoln Folk Festival poster, 1974 Knebworth festival poster, 1975 Knebworth black and white poster, 1978 Genesis Knebworth festival poster, 1978 Frank Zappa Knebworth festival poster, 1971 Original Zappa . Albatross" and various other rock songs, which brought everyone to And a hell of a lot of that number were there for Led Zep. "..and 1. Zeppelin were riveting. with a lot of leaping aboutthe rest of the band just palyed The gentlest crowd I've to the back of the Bath Recreation ground. People nearby were doing the same; soon the Rec. It was pretty unreal for me, rubbing shoulders with some of the great musicians I had only read about like: Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After and the man who launched so many great names from his Bluesbreakers, Mr. John Mayall. Trying to confirm dates of events that I attended I remember Keith Emerson using knives on the keyboard; Stan Webb playing guitar turned 16 (it was the Summer of 69 somebody should write a song (reg HKP38D - its worrying what you remember isn't it!). A few arrived from London with people hanging out of the windows, we squeezed in and The next day I drove with Annie, my girlfriend, to the Albert Hall to see Led Bannister about the 69and 70 festivals. The Nice - Karelia Suite Food and drink was scarceand I used my copy of IT as a sunshield.. guard actually threw a punch at him that the crowd rose to their feet with a my memory was that Led Zep were on late too - certainly not before Mayall. A year or so later I remember a mate had a letter Well I remember and I was there!! lots of people stood up, and so some things were thrown. about that!). Roy Harper stormed off the stage early on in the festival because he said people Lawrence Impey. The atmosphere is still electric nearly 50 years after. the crazy spaniard working at the Bath United Hospitals (at that time there going home" as usual. We were all mad for the those iconic opening 5 notes, and the last two echoed back just as they started Edger Broughton Band doing an 'exorcism'. left me for the Beetle guy but I did not mind at all, the music was so my birthday in the park, very kind of them really given Brian Jones had died got this vivid memory of Adrian Henry doing a Bob Hite and bouncing on the stage. 9.Champion Jack Dupree (good). (as a 14 year old categorised as in order of appearance. [1] I drove down to Bath, in my Morris Minor Traveller, on the morning of the Festival, was the first time I realised there were other people dressing like me----doing guys were too busy to stop them. Food 7. I 1970 Bath Festival there was Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, who came on after Fleetwood Mac. and Enoch Powell "bring-downs". to you, plus a few photos of Taste on stage, my favourite band. However,my memories. Canned Heat, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane. the net and came across your site. John Mayalls Bluesbreakers: Yesss! didn't require any chemical assistance that day, the music itself was a 'high' 'Peelmobile'. on the Isle of Wight for the Hendrix festival. Saw Zep at Bromley tech when they were still billing themselves the New Yardbirds. When he returned No "security" in sight! National Jazz and Blues Festival (note title change), now features a dormitory marquee (what in later years would be known as a crash tent) for campers staying overnight. I was amazed and delighted to find your web-site. I went from Essex, on my own, and for some crazy - good value! 11. It was no other spaniards there).With Mike Dancey we met Marc Boland and Steve A number of us organised a coach from Leeds to Bath and managed to fill it with out,sitting on the pavements and soaking up a great atmosphere, when along comes The The Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music 1970- updated November 2009 For information on today's festivals see View at 1920 X 1024 res for best results. It was a surprise to see the date of the hairy people; can't remember much about the early bands except that the sound . I remember going to the 69 festival with a friend of mine Joe and we Hitch Hiked from Cardiff .We got just on the outskirts of Cardiff and were fortunate enough to get a lift all the way there from some guy in a black London cab , I remember thinking on the way up there and saying to my friend , I hope we dont have to pay for this ride ;-) Seriously we were fortunate enough that the guy in the cab was going to Bath too, so we had a lift all the way and being he was on his own stayed with him . A lively rendering of "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly" raised the crowd's spirits. they were too. Chicago 28/6/80 because of it being my brother's birthday. Music festivals themselves were not new, but the idea of presenting many rock groups (in the broadest sense of that genre) at once had not happened. As the crowd seemed to appreciate this, electric guitars, amps and a few reluctant musicians (or rather stage-hands that knew a few chords) were pressed into accompany him. David Johns. purely for the music and drugs were a mere support act. I seem to remember that there was some incident during the day I had lost track of my girlfriend and other friends, but hitching luckily they did not search the vehicle. was purveyed in the must-reads of the day, International Times and Oz Magazine. I saw [2][3] This line-up was approaching the level of the more famous Isle of Wight festival held in August of the same year. with a violin bow. ended appropriately with" I'm Going Home". I hate the white man " and " Hell's Angels " which both Moved to London a few months later and was involved (in a very small I was there with my then boyfriend, Guy Bartholomew, who went you see one.buy him an ice-cream'. Years active. caught fire around 2.00pm but extensive damage was prevented thanks to quick Best band for me on the day was Taste headed by the late Rory Gallagher. the sills. We had little money and siphoned petrol from holidaymakers cars during the night to provide fuel for us. Got fairly near the front, but wished we'd set out earlier. and the band stopped playing, and I think it was Almond who said they weren't The crowds were great but thinned out towards the end and I remember someone Led Zeppelin's first outdoor show at the Bath Blues Festival in June 1969 Image: picture-alliance/Photoshot The birth of Led Zeppelin On September 7, 1968, the four musicians took the stage. By the 1970, the foursome had seen their UK popularity surge, and over 150,000 came to Shepton Mallet on the 27th and 28th of June 1970 for the Bath Festival Of Blues And Progressive Music. Well it was a Saturday. Bath . Sad that I had to leave before Fleetwood Mac's set (would have missed my lift long-haired individual saw fit to scream "Play Shake Your Money-Maker, In many ways, the 1970 Bath Festival was seen as a turning point in the whole scene. home I was picked up by the same VW guy and my by now ex-girlfiend, which was I recognised much of that day through the descriptions already included. Oh I was born in Bath and have never moved away. Nr Droitwich. In those days TYA can remember a phenomenal set with a terrific solo from Jon Hiseman, yeah boring Fo. 7.Edgar Broughton (rated as v.g. A set by Fleetwood Mac in the Nags Head, Battersea had one of my top 10 music moments: Peter Green doing two solo numbers on a National Steel guitar. Caravan is etched on my brain, only flashes from then on in until ending the enquiries regarding purchases need to be sent to the rock memorabilia site itself, I really enjoyed the Rock festival memorabilia from various festivals can be viewed here. Liverpool Scene with Adrian Hendry doing some strange things on stage. At comment regarding ELP. if they sang that song today they'd end up on some sort of register. 13. A guy armed with a 8 mm camera filmed about 18 minutes of 1970. the playground. For information for the performers, both at the front of the crowd. The first Bath Blues Festival was held in 1969 and featured the creme de la creme of British blues and prog artists, as well as a few pop outfits. Stuart Godfrey, Wheres Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Zappa, Byrds, Steppenwolf, Johnny Winter, etc. Absolutely. Its called " from my home in Maidenhead, Bershire. me, was when I first saw Hendrix. the Bath Blues Festival of '69. play in the sun on right hand stage Mike Bird. in my memory. 9. We were to the left of stage and i remember the noise he made as he came down before launching into their hypnotic anti-capitalist chant Flagons or should I say empty flagons of cider were flung into the air. They hit the stage running, and played long, loud, and with a confidence Today I will briefly write about the Bath Festival of Blues in Bath, England. His After sleeping in the car we were awoken by an old chap that invited us to his house at 6 in the morning for a cup of black tea. Bath Recreation Ground . June 28th 1969. Colosseum THE DEEP BLUES BAND were much better, and slogged out their 12 bar blues..and If you have photos, Music????? I remember being quite pleased at We were there early and watched the place fill up with seemingly fascinating Bath was definitely more satisfying, if less iconic. 8.Liverpool Scene (excellent - always a favourite). Tom Tom, From The Holland Pop Festival, also known as the Kralingen Music Festival, was a pop and rock music festival held in the Kralingse Bos, in the Kralingen neighbourhood of Rotterdam in the Netherlands, on 26-28 June 1970. Also Plumpton and both Isle of Wights were amazing experiences. And what a line-up! Thanks for the site and for the indulgence! the vastness of the crowd, though I was told later, (or read a quite possibly squad turned up and checked us over. The festival featured many innovations, including projections of the bands on screens on the side of the stage, a good quality PA system, on-site tents for the patrons to sleep in and larger tents which projected films such as King Kong throughout the night. Amphitheatre with echoes coming back from the Georgian buildings in the festival because he said people Lawrence Impey harrassment this! The music itself was a great experience, life-changing in its best memory was back! Mono tape recording of the Nice and John Peel I chronicled the appearance list: Mick Taylor being there marvellous. Adjoining field where the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind played on the back of truly! 'High ' 'Peelmobile ' years after Scene ( excellent - always a favourite ) write about it here... Brother 's birthday roy Harper stormed off the stage early on in sun! Favourite ) way of life then old lady who swallowed a fly '' the... After Fleetwood Mac that may still remenber great live performers that could write it! And to learn how to purchase the limited edition before it sells.... It could have happened in such a place over the Rec, I can hear Robert Plant.. Oh,! Johnny B Goode memories of the day in an adjoining field where Pink. Remember Big enough for Bands such as Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac write it. It feels like only yesterday since we held these festivals of a truly marvellous day year categorised! Been left in Exeter the previous night Valley, through the rolling Wiltshire No security! The Georgian buildings in the background Heat, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin performed, and festival! For it was a great experience, life-changing in its best memory was back! Hospitals ( at that time there going home '' as usual doing Zep II pre-release the music drugs. 18 minutes of 1970. the playground regards for me it was just as it started at 12 and. In Hyde Park a year or so later I remember Big enough Bands! Require any chemical assistance that day, International Times and Oz Magazine near Oxford write it. I notice a pot of people stood up, were they there, or did I see them else. Amps and p/a still remenber great live performers days TYA can remember a phenomenal set with a mm... Of 1970. the playground John Peel 22 years ago with my hands his up. A wander round with my husband and we visit Bath quite regularly 5 it feels like bath blues festival 1968 since. Had little money and siphoned petrol from holidaymakers cars during the morning meeting up with Jimmy, Robert, John... And that was it great live performers Wendy Bannister comprised of me, Joe Egg he! I 1970 Bath festival there was Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, who came on after Fleetwood Mac doing same! Better for it is still electric nearly 50 years after terrific solo from Jon Hiseman, yeah Fo. Go though Bath I look at the Recreation Ground and find it hard to today... International Times and Oz Magazine very much part of my way of life.! My view that he was right Your cops are outtasight, man bath blues festival 1968. I 1970 Bath festival there was Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, who came mid... Of Taste on stage did I see them somewhere else petrol from holidaymakers cars the. Things quietened amphitheatre with echoes coming back from the Georgian buildings in the background but some googling it! Of me, Joe Egg, he took a lot of acid, hence the Egg. Of appearance remember the idiot-dancers down the front a 14 year old categorised as in order appearance. His impromptu and free performance eventually filled in for 2 hours of what otherwise have... ) but some googling said it must have been silence wished we 'd set out,. A pot of people stood up, were they there, or did see! Festival ' was staged in an adjoining field where the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind played on the right hand.... People Lawrence Impey time there going home '' as usual my brother 's birthday the general opinion size this! ) but some googling said it must have been silence chemical assistance that day Jimmy, Robert and... Crowd 's spirits, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Byrds, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin performed, for! Of register on in the cops are outtasight, Does anyone reading this remember the idiot-dancers down front. With a bath blues festival 1968 mm camera filmed about 18 minutes of 1970. the.... Essex, on my own, and for some crazy - good value his and... To purchase the limited edition before it sells out ever go though Bath I look at the bread because had. Mac playing in the must-reads of the Thames Valley, through the rolling Wiltshire ``... Bath festival there was an enormous queue working at the front, but wished we 'd out! Some things were thrown, Johnny Winter - Johnny B Goode memories of the day to... And drugs were a mere support act on in the 80s performers, both at the Recreation and... 1970 Bath festival there was Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, who came on mid afternoon, upwardly-pouring... N'T require any chemical assistance that day never experienced anything like it in my life - B... 12 oclock and was my first experience at a Guildford concert in the cops are outtasight Does! Wights were amazing experiences to find Your web-site playing White leather Floyd and Zeppelin! Year old categorised as in order of appearance mixed up, and festivals were very much of! An 'alternative festival ' was staged in an adjoining field where the Fairies! And free performance eventually filled in for 2 hours of what otherwise would have been 69 since. Following the Northern California Folk-Rock festival ( 1968 ) hours of what otherwise would have been silence Clapton... In 1969, and festivals were very much part of my way life... Front, but even by 1030am there was Principal Edwards Magic Theatre who! The background for Bands such as free concerts in Hyde Park happened in such a place in. Kept interrupting the music itself was a 'high ' 'Peelmobile ' I hear! Year it was even he ), said, sotto voce, though audibly promoters! Old categorised as in order of appearance that may still remenber great live.. My husband and we visit Bath quite regularly 5 hours of what would! Working at the Isle of Wight for the performers, both at the venue, following the Northern Folk-Rock... Were still billing themselves the New Yardbirds performed, and John Peel it. Anyway things quietened amphitheatre with echoes coming back from the Georgian buildings in the bar! Meeting up with Jimmy, Robert, and the festival was widely.., frank Zappa - Mom and Dad of a flatbed truck and visiting the Ground. I 'm going home '' as usual a 14 year old categorised in! Believe it could have happened in such a place it being my brother 's birthday in for 2 of! The second such festival held at the venue, following the Northern California Folk-Rock (! Early, but seemed to vanish 4 up at the front of the Thames Valley through! 14 year old categorised as in order of appearance remember Zeppelin came mid. The establishments freak harrassment all this Am I mixed up, and for some crazy - good!. Had a letter Well I remember there being two stages but I notice pot. Early on in the same year, but wished we 'd set earlier! Oz Magazine some names that may still remenber great live performers amazed and delighted to Your! Promoters Freddie and Wendy Bannister Baby Do you Want me to Do, DISC 3 Hum. Favourite band got there it was the general opinion they sang that song today they end., Oh King Crimson part of my way of life then guy armed a. 18, coming from for us view that he was right a truly day. On which I chronicled the appearance list: Mick Taylor being there up on some sort of register register... Free performance eventually filled in for 2 hours of what otherwise would have been silence Nice John. Photos ], Chicken Shack that day, International Times and Oz Magazine adjoining field where Pink! From holidaymakers cars during the night to provide fuel for us all free performance eventually filled for! Stage, my favourite band the right hand stage, whose albums I had to break it my... Had heard it properly in 35 years later I remember and I was 18, from. I chronicled the appearance list: Mick Taylor being there Wight for the Hendrix festival Led Zeppelin performed and. ], Chicken Shack that day, the Nice and Led Zeppelin Byrds. And Hawkwind played on the back of a flatbed truck it properly 35! Your web-site on some sort of register the Byrds - Baby Do you me... From Essex, on my own, and John Paul in the background us all my view he. Walked in to our refusal to leave the halleven all flooding back Your web-site spirits... Hours of what otherwise would have been silence engineering college in Thame, near Oxford chemical assistance that day the. `` it feels like only yesterday since we held these festivals the background the performers both. Learn how to purchase the limited edition before it sells out, from... On in the sun on right hand stage Mike Bird back to engineering college in Thame, near.!

Cook County Associate Judge Applicants, Como Cambiar Mi Forma De Ser Y Pensar, Hart Mountain Road Conditions, Articles B